Proper hoof care in cows is of paramount importance. It directly contributes to a healthier cow, which in turn leads to various benefits. Firstly, a healthier cow is more profitable, as it exhibits higher productivity and milk production, ultimately resulting in increased financial returns for the farmer. Additionally, a healthy cow reflects positively on the farmer’s reputation, enhancing the overall image of their operation. By prioritizing hoof care, farmers demonstrate their commitment to animal welfare and responsible farming practices. Therefore, investing in the well-being of cows through regular hoof care not only boosts profitability but also helps build a positive public perception of the farmer and their dedication to maintaining healthy livestock.
Our comprehensive one-day hoof care training provides essential theoretical knowledge on hoof care diseases. The course covers the following key topics:
- Causes of diseases: Understand the factors that contribute to hoof diseases in cows, including environmental and management factors.
- Diagnosis of diseases: Learn to recognize the symptoms and signs of common hoof diseases, enabling early detection and prompt treatment.
- Prevention of diseases: Gain insights into preventive measures and best practices to minimize the occurrence of hoof diseases.
- Treatment of diseases: Acquire knowledge of effective treatment strategies for various hoof diseases, ensuring proper care and recovery.
- Management aspects and their influence on diseases: Explore the management factors that can impact hoof health and disease prevention.
- Tool maintenance: Learn the essentials of tool maintenance, including knife sharpening, upkeep of hand tools, and bench grinder operation.
- Blocking of feet and bandaging: Understand techniques such as blocking of feet to facilitate lesion healing and bandaging severe hoof lesions.
- Use of angle grinder: Discover the application and safe usage of angle grinders in hoof care, depending on the experience level of participants.
In addition to the theory, our four-day practical training allows participants to apply their knowledge in real-life scenarios. Practical sessions include:
- Trimming cows on different types of farms: Gain hands-on experience in hoof trimming techniques tailored to different farm setups.
- Trimming with hoof knives and cutters: Master the skill of trimming using both hoof knives and cutters, ensuring precision and efficiency.
- Maintenance (preventative) trimming: Learn the importance of regular preventative trimming to maintain hoof health and prevent diseases.
- Curative trimming: Practice curative trimming techniques to address specific hoof conditions and promote healing.
- Demonstration and practice with angle grinders (depending on experience): Observe and, if appropriate, participate in using angle grinders for hoof care, guided by experienced trainers.
- By the end of the training, participants will possess comprehensive theoretical knowledge and practical skills in hoof care. They will be equipped to effectively diagnose, prevent, and treat hoof diseases, contributing to the overall health and well-being of cows. Join us and enhance your expertise in maintaining optimal hoof health on your farm.
Results after the training
Results after the training
Upon mastering the key aspects of hoof care, you will possess valuable skills and knowledge that can greatly benefit your farm or your clients farm. With this expertise, you will be able to:
- Detect and address hoof diseases promptly, ensuring the health and well-being of your cows.
- Implement preventative measures to minimize the occurrence of hoof diseases, reducing the need for extensive treatments.
- Conduct effective hoof trimming using various tools, promoting optimal hoof health and preventing potential issues.
- Apply management practices that positively influence hoof health, contributing to overall cow welfare and productivity.
- Maintain and sharpen hoof care tools, ensuring their effectiveness and longevity.
- Utilize techniques such as blocking and bandaging to support the healing process of severe hoof lesions.
- Safely operate angle grinders for hoof care purposes, if appropriate and based on experience.
By mastering these skills, you will enhance the overall hoof health and longevity of your cows, leading to increased productivity and profitability. Your commitment to proper hoof care will not only benefit your animals but also reinforce your reputation as a responsible and conscientious farmer.
Date and location
Date and location
Starting date: Coming soon
Location: Oenkerk (in the North of The Netherlands)
Audience: starting farmers, farm / herd managers, specialists/advisors, veterinariansDuration: 5 days
Acknowledgement: Certificate of attendance
Entry level: starting farmers, herd managers, trainers, advisors
Study material: Will be handed out during training
Minimum number of participants: 6
Maximum number of participants: 10